Grow By Degrees
Launched in 2009 by the Virginia Business Higher Education Council, the Grow By Degrees coalition is comprised of business and community leaders, economic development officials and organizations, college and university leaders, public officials, students and parents who share the conviction that Virginia’s economic future is fundamentally tied to higher education.
The coalitions’ priorities are:
- Awarding 100,000 more high-quality college degrees to Virginians by 2025
- Targeting the new degrees to high-income, high-demand sectors, such as science, technology, engineering, mathematics and healthcare (STEM-H)
- Creating cost-efficient new ways to access college degrees
- Expanding job-specific training at Virginia’s community colleges
- Increasing public-private collaboration on university-based research
- Enhancing economic development and workforce initiatives in each region
- Making college affordable for low- and middle-income families
In Fall 2013, the coalition released the results of an economic impact study conducted by the Weldon Cooper Center at the University of Virginia. The study found that for every tax dollar the state invests in public higher education, the result is $17.40 in economic activity (GDP) and $1.29 in new state tax revenues.
To find out how you can support the efforts of the Grow By Degrees coalition, and how you can encourage your legislators to support higher education, visit www.growbydegrees.org.
Information Maintained by:
Heather Busch, Creative Services Manager