Grant Provides College Money to Students
Posted on May 07, 2012
Students in Amelia, Dinwiddie and Sussex counties have an opportunity to receive free money for college thanks to a $100,000 grant from the Virginia Tobacco Indemnification and Community Revitalization Commission (TICRC). With the grant monies, the John Tyler Community College Foundation has created a program that will award scholarships, three times a year – starting with the Fall 2012 semester, to students from these localities. The scholarships, available to full- and part-time students who meet the necessary qualifications, will pay for tuition and fees not covered by financial aid. To qualify for a TICRC scholarship, you must:
- Reside in Amelia, Dinwiddie or Sussex counties
- Be a student at John Tyler Community College (if you are not already a student, you may apply by visiting http://www.jtcc.edu, and clicking “Apply Now”)
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and qualify for financial aid
- Be enrolled or plan to enroll in a certificate or degree program at John Tyler (preference is given to those enrolled in programs tied to science, technology, engineering and mathematics – also known as STEM – and to those enrolled in health care programs)
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress if you are a recipient of a TICRC scholarship award
- Students do not need to fill out a scholarship application, and there is no deadline to apply.
The Virginia Tobacco Indemnification and Community Revitalization Commission was created by the Virginia General Assembly in 1999 with funds from the national tobacco settlement. The commission’s mission is to promote economic growth and development in tobacco-dependent communities, so the commission only funds projects in Virginia’s tobacco region. The counties of Amelia, Dinwiddie and Sussex are the only localities in John Tyler Community College’s service area that are part of the tobacco region. This grant is the first TICRC gift to John Tyler Community College.
Students or potential students who are interested in learning more about JTCC’s new TICRC scholarships may call 804-594-1574 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
Information Maintained by:
Heather Busch, Creative Services Manager