Visual Arts, Film Specialization AAA
Associate of Applied Arts (AAA)
C Career & technical education programs for job training = Career & technical education programs for job training, guided by Advisory Committees
For students who intend to pursue careers in film production. Program coursework provides a foundation for the fine and applied arts and allows students to learn techniques specific to digital filmmaking. Students are required to prepare portfolios of their work.
Program Requirements and Special Conditions
Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit www.jtcc.edu/placement for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
|Required Courses||CR.||Pre-requisite Courses||Approved Course Substitutions|
|SDV 101 Orientation to Visual and Performing Arts Programs||1||SDV 100|
|ENG 111 College Composition I||3||See Placement Requirements|
|ART 101 History and Appreciation of Art I||3|
|CST 151 Film Appreciation I||3|
|ART 121 Drawing I||3|
|ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I||3|
|ENG 112 College Composition II||3||ENG 111|
|ART 102 History and Appreciation of Art II||3|
|ART 132 Fundamentals of Design II||3|
|ART 130 Introduction to Multimedia||4|
|Mathematics or Science Elective||3||See Placement Requirements||See Note 2|
|Communications Studies and Theatre Elective||3||See Note 3|
|ART 150 History of Film and Animation||3|
|PHT 150 Film Production I Offered Fall only||3|
|Photography or Film Elective||3||See Note 4|
|Social/Behavioral Science Elective||3||See Note 5|
|PHT 151 Film Production II Offered Spring only||3||PHT 150|
|PHT 274 Digital Film Editing and Post Production Offered Spring only||3|
|ART 287 Portfolio and Resume Preparation||1||Majors only – Taken during last semester||See Note 6|
|Total Minimum Credits to Complete||60|
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete their SDV, ENG, and MTH requirements first.
- The mathematics/science elective requirement can be satisfied by courses with the following prefixes: BIO, CHM, ENV, GOL, MTH, NAS and PHY. Students should consult with their faculty advisors to determine the best option.
- Film students are encouraged to take CST 140 Acting for the Camera.
- Approved ART or CST courses may be used to satisfy the photography or film elective. Students should consult with their faculty advisors to determine the best option.
- The social/behavioral science elective can be satisfied with the following prefixes: ECO, GEO, PLS, HIS, PSY, and SOC.
- Student must develop a portfolio during their last semester of study.
- Related awards – Fine Arts Certificate (C), Film Career Studies Certificate (CSC)
- Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their advisement report in MyTyler – SIS.
Your Right to Know
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia requires colleges to provide information on graduation rates. The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to publish gainful employment consumer information for career/technical programs.