Visual Arts, Photography Specialization AAA
Associate of Applied Arts (AAA)
C Career & technical education programs for job training = Career & technical education programs for job training, guided by Advisory Committees
For students who intend to pursue careers in photography. Program coursework provides a foundation for the fine and applied arts and allows students to learn techniques specific to photography. Students are required to prepare portfolios of their work.
Program Requirements and Special Conditions
Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students must also complete placement tests (or equivalent) in English and mathematics, and scores will be used for appropriate course placement. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
|Required Courses||CR.||Pre-requisite Courses||Approved Course Substitutions|
|SDV 101 Orientation to Visual and Performing Arts Programs||1||SDV 100|
|ENG 111 College Composition I||3||See placement test scores|
|ART 101 History and Appreciation of Art I||3|
|ART 111 Introduction to the Arts I||3|
|ART 121 Drawing I||3|
|ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I||3|
|ENG 112 College Composition II||3||ENG 111|
|ART 102 History and Appreciation of Art II||3|
|ART 132 Fundamentals of Design II||3|
|ART 133 Visual Arts Foundation||4|
|Mathematics or Science Elective||3||See Placement Test Scores||See Note 2|
|Health/Physical Education Elective||1|
|PHT 110 History of Photography||3|
|PHT 135 Electronic Darkroom||3|
|PHT 164 Introduction to Digital Photography||3|
|Social/Behavioral Science Elective||3||See Note 3|
|ART Elective||3||See Note 4|
|Communications Studies and Theatre Elective||3|
|Information Technology Elective||1|
|Photography or Film Elective||3||See Note 5|
|PHT 221 Studio Lighting I||3|
|PHT 264 Digital Photography II Offered Spring only||3|
|ART 287 Portfolio and Resume Preparation||1||Majors only – Taken during last semester||See Note 6|
|Total Minimum Credits to Complete||65|
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete their SDV, ENG, and MTH requirements first.
- The mathematics/science elective requirement can be satisfied by courses with the following prefixes: BIO, CHM, ENV, GOL, MTH, NAS and PHY. Students should consult with their faculty advisors to determine the best option.
- The social/behavioral science elective can be satisfied with the following prefixes: ECO, GEO, PLS, HIS, PSY, and SOC.
- Approved Photography courses may be used to fulfill the Art elective requirement. Students should consult with their faculty advisors.
- Approved ART or CST courses may be used to satisfy the photography or film elective. Students should consult with their faculty advisors.
- Student must develop a portfolio during their last semester of study.
- Related Awards – Fine Arts Certificate (C), Photography Career Studies Certificate (CSC)
- Students should regularly meet with their academic advisor and check their advisement report in MyTyler – SIS.
- Courses noted as Fall only or Spring only are based on historical trends and current planning and may change without notice.
- Transfer to Four-Year Colleges and Universities – This program is not intended for transfer. Students desiring to transfer should consult their faculty advisors and their intended transfer institution for specific direction in program and course selection. Required courses for any major at four-year institutions may vary.
Your Right to Know
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia requires colleges to provide information on graduation rates. The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to publish gainful employment consumer information for career/technical programs.