Visual Arts, Visual Communications Specialization AAA
Associate of Applied Arts (AAA)
C Career & technical education programs for job training = Career & technical education programs for job training, guided by Advisory Committees
For students who intend to pursue careers in graphic design. Program coursework allows students to learn techniques specific to computer-generated design and imagery and explore all stages of publication, from creative inception to pre-press. Students are required to prepare portfolios of their work.
Program Requirements and Special Conditions
Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students must also complete placement tests (or equivalent) in English and mathematics, and scores will be used for appropriate course placement. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
|Required Courses||CR.||Pre-requisite Courses||Approved Course Substitutions|
|SDV 101 Orientation to Visual and Performing Arts Programs||1||SDV 100|
|ENG 111 College Composition I||3||See placement test scores|
|ART 101 History and Appreciation of Art I||3|
|ART 111 Introduction to the Arts I||3||ART 180, See Note 2|
|ART 121 Drawing I||3|
|ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I||3|
|ENG 112 College Composition II||3||ENG 111|
|ART 102 History and Appreciation of Art II||3|
|ART 122 Drawing II||3||ART 121|
|ART 132 Fundamentals of Design II||3|
|ART 133 Visual Arts Foundation||4|
|MILESTONE: Complete ART 287 to earn Fine Arts Certificate (See faculty advisor)|
|Mathematics or Science Elective||3||See Placement Test Scores||See Note 3|
|ART 141 Typography I||4|
|ART 217 Electronic Graphic Design I||4||ART 180, See Note 2|
|ART 250 History of Design||3|
|Health/Physical Education Elective||1|
|Information Technology Elective||1|
|ART 218 Electronic Graphic Design II Offered Spring only||4||ART 217|
|ART 291 Computerized Graphic Design I Offered Spring only||4||Majors only – Taken during last semester|
|Communications Studies and Theatre Elective||3|
|Photography or Film Elective||3||See Note 4|
|Social/Behavioral Science Elective||3||See Note 5|
|Total Minimum Credits to Complete||65|
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete their SDV, ENG, and MTH requirements first.
- Students without any prior design software experience should select ART 180. Students should consult with their faculty advisors.
- The mathematics/science elective requirement can be satisfied by courses with the following prefixes: BIO, CHM, ENV, GOL, MTH, NAS and PHY. Students should meet with their faculty advisors to determine the best option.
- Approved ART or CST courses may be used to satisfy the photography or film elective. Students should consult with their faculty advisors.
- The social/behavioral science elective can be satisfied with the following prefixes: ECO, GEO, PLS, HIS, PSY, and SOC.
- Related Award – Fine Arts Certificate (C)
- Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their advisement report in MyTyler – SIS.
- Courses noted as Fall only or Spring only are based on historical trends and current planning and may change without notice.
- Transfer to Four-Year Colleges and Universities – This program is not intended for transfer. Students desiring to transfer should consult their faculty advisors and their intended transfer institution for specific direction in program and course selection. Required courses for any major at four-year institutions may vary.
Your Right to Know
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia requires colleges to provide information on graduation rates. The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to publish gainful employment consumer information for career/technical programs.