C Career & technical education programs for job training = Career & technical education programs for job training, guided by Advisory Committees
The certificate in welding prepares students for work as an apprentice welder. The Welding Program is accredited by the American Welding Society (AWS) Schools Excelling through National Skills Standards Education (SENSE) program.
Program Requirements and Special Conditions
Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students must provide their own personal protection safety equipment. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit www.jtcc.edu/placement for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
|Required Courses||CR.||Pre-requisite Courses||Approved Course Substitutions|
|SAF 130 Industrial Safety OSHA-10||1||See Note 6.|
|WEL 150 Welding Drawing and Interpretation||2|
|WEL 116 Oxyfuel Welding Offered in Fall Semester||2||SAF 130, WEL 150|
|WEL 123 Shielded Metal ARC Welding Offered in Fall Semester||3||SAF 130, WEL 150|
|WEL 160 Gas Metal Arc Welding Offered in Fall Semester||3||SAF 130, WEL 150|
|WEL 130 Inert Gas Welding Offered in Spring Semester||3||SAF 130, WEL 150|
|WEL 244 Weld Testing and Codes Offered in Spring Semester||2||SAF 130|
|WEL 247 Welding Layout and Fabrication I Offered in Fall Semester||2||SAF 130, WEL 150, WEL 247|
|WEL 248 Welding Layout and Fabrication II Offered in Spring Semester||2||SAF 130, WEL 150|
|WEL 141 Welder Qualification Tests I Offered in Spring Semester||3||SAF 130, WEL 150, WEL 248|
|MILESTONE: Welding Career Studies Certificate|
|SDV 100 College Success Skills||1||SDV101|
|ENG 115 Technical Writing||3||See Placement Requirements||ENG 111|
|MTH 103 Applied Technical Mathematics I||3||See Placement Requirements||MTH 120 or higher|
|PSY 126 Psychology for Business and Industry||3||SAF 130, WEL 150, WEL 123|
|MILESTONE: Optional (Recommended) American Welding Society Certification (See Note 3)|
|Total Minimum Credits to Complete||33|
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete their SDV, ENG, and MTH requirements first.
- Students with good computer skills may seek to satisfy this requirement by CLEP or internal exam.
- To achieve American Welding Society SENSE certification, the student must successfully complete workmanship samples and weld tests throughout the program.
- Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their advisement report in MyTyler – SIS.
- Courses noted as Fall only or Spring only are based on historical trends and current planning and may change without notice.
- The SAF 130 class will be waived with a prior OSHA 10 or 30 certification. Proof of successful completion with a valid OSHA issued card will be required.
Your Right to Know
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia requires colleges to provide information on graduation rates. The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to publish gainful employment consumer information for career/technical programs.