The 2016 Commencement Ceremony will be held Friday, May 13 at 6:30 p.m. on the Midlothian Campus.
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation. Below please find some important information you’ll need to prepare for Tyler’s Commencement celebration.
Participation in Ceremony
Only those who indicated on their applications for graduation (Summer 2015, Fall 2015, Spring 2016) that they intended to participate in the Commencement Ceremony will be permitted to participate, and to purchase caps, gowns, and invitations. You must respond to https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2016-Grad-RSVP no later than May 8, 2016 to confirm that you still plan to participate in the Commencement Ceremony. This mandatory response will reserve a seat for you at the ceremony.
Participants with special parking needs must contact Ms. Tanya Brown, Assistant Director of College Safety & Security, at 804-594-1414 (Midlothian) or 804-768-6633 (Chester) no later than April 22, 2016.
Graduates with special mobility needs must contact Dr. Mark Miller at 804-594-1561, email@example.com no later than April 22, 2016.
Caps, Gowns and Invitations
If you are participating in the College’s 2016 Commencement Ceremony, you must purchase your cap and gown (regalia) at the bookstore on either the Chester or Midlothian campus.
- Regalia sales will begin Monday, April 11, 2016, through Monday, May 9, 2016. No regalia will be sold on the day of commencement. Please plan appropriately.
- Collars are not required for women and will not be sold with the package.
- The cost will be $26.33 which includes tax.
- Try on your gown/cap and make any exchanges to a different size if needed. Keep your receipt for exchanges. Exchanges need to be made well in advance.
- When you purchase your cap and gown, you will be given a packet of twelve commencement invitations. Participants may purchase additional invitations at $5.00 per packet. There is a limited supply of invitations, and they will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. The Commencement Ceremony is open to the public; invitations are not required for entry.
- Graduates who are members of the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society wear gold tassels and stoles, which will also be obtained through the College Bookstore. A list of PTK members will be provided to the bookstore. Students need to tell the bookstore staff that they are members of PTK when picking up their caps and gowns. Students who have questions may contact the College Bookstore at Chester 804-777-9166, or Midlothian 804-378-3394, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. PTK members may only wear gold tassels and honor stoles - no other PTK regalia are permitted. PTK members must be in good academic standing with their chapters in order to wear any PTK regalia at Commencement.
If you have questions or need additional information about the purchase of caps and gowns, contact the College Bookstore at Chester at 804-777-9166, or at Midlothian at 804-378-3394, or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Other Important Information
- Keep your address/phone numbers current in the Student Information System in myTyler. You will receive several important mailings from the College at this address.
- Diplomas are ordered within a month of the ceremony, and you will be notified by mail when you can pick up your diploma on campus. Diplomas that are not picked up will be mailed to the address listed on your myTyler account after a specific period of time. It normally takes 8-10 weeks to receive the diploma after ordering. You will not receive your diploma on the day of graduation.
- If you need proof of graduation after June 1, 2016, please follow college policy and request an official transcript from the college. Graduation will be denoted on your transcript within 3 weeks of graduation
- There is no limit on the number of guests. The ceremony is held outside.
- If you have additional questions regarding commencement, e-mail the graduation coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Day of the Ceremony
Participants must check in on May 13 between 4:45 and 5:45 p.m. in Eliades Hall. Nursing graduates will check in on the 1st floor, and all other students will check in on the 2nd floor, in front of the Art Room. Individuals who arrive after this time will not be permitted to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Graduation candidates typically wear black or dark clothes beneath their gowns. Dark, comfortable shoes are also recommended. Restrooms will be available for robing, but personal belongings should not be left in these rooms. These rooms will not be secured during the ceremony, and the College cannot be responsible for lost items.
Participants will line up by degree or certificate in alphabetical order as directed by the Commencement marshals.
The Commencement Ceremony will be held outdoors between Hamel Hall and the T Building at the Midlothian Campus. Participants and their guests are encouraged to pay careful attention to local weather forecasts and dress appropriately for predicted evening temperatures.
In the event of inclement weather, participants and their guests should telephone 804-594-1425 or check www.jtcc.edu. The absence of any special announcement indicates that the ceremony is to be held as scheduled. If the ceremony is cancelled on Friday, May 13, 2016, it will be held on Saturday, May 14 at 10:00 a.m. at the Midlothian Campus.
Please remember that participation in the commencement ceremony does not denote official certification of a degree or certificate. Official certification of graduation is only made when all curriculum requirements have been satisfactorily addressed and recorded in the Admissions and Records Office.