Free college credit before you leave high school? That's just smart.

Dual Enrollment

What is dual enrollment?
Dual enrollment is a great way for motivated high school juniors and seniors to jump start their college education. Dual enrollment courses allow students to earn both high school and college credit. In most cases, tuition and textbook fees are paid by the local school system, so dual enrollment is basically free college credit for high school students and their families. Dual enrollment is offered through an arrangement between John Tyler Community College and the public schools in the College's service region.

What are the benefits?

Dual enrollment courses earn both high school and college credit, so students maximize their efforts. Plus, all dual enrollment courses consist of college-level instruction from qualified faculty members during normal school hours.

Generally, if a student earns a "C" or better in a dual enrollment class, the credits will transfer. Students should be sure to talk to their counselors about their plans after high school. Colleges and universities all handle transfer credits differently, so refer to individual transfer guides for more information. You can find some common transfer guides linked from, or you can contact the college or university your child plans to attend.

Dual enrollment courses expose high school students to the rigors of college work. Plus, dual enrollment gives students a chance to get ahead on the credits they need to complete a college degree. Dual enrollment courses save students time and money. That can mean less educational debt, more time/resources to study abroad, less time to complete a college degree, and much more.

Dual enrollment saves high school students and their families money on college tuition. School districts cover the tuition costs of dual enrollment courses. Most high schools also pay for textbooks. Talk to your child's counselor about specifics in your school district.

Who is eligible for dual enrollment?
High school juniors and seniors who have:

  • Completed an online application to John Tyler Community College at
  • Returned a summary of their John Tyler application and other required documents to their high school counselor
  • Earned satisfactory scores on college placement examinations and have met any prerequisite requirements
  • Gained permission of their parent/legal guardian and high school principal

Not sure if your child is eligible? Talk to his or her counselor.

What courses are offered?
Different courses are offered in each high school. Students have the option of taking courses designed for transfer to four-year colleges or universities or career and technical education (CTE) courses that provide technical training and can lead to industry standard certification.

Examples of traditional transfer courses include English, biology, history and calculus. Examples of college-level CTE courses that students can take in high school include Cisco networking, computer-aided drafting and photography/film.

If your child is interested in college classes that aren't part of the dual enrollment program at his or her high school, concurrent enrollment is another other option. Concurrently enrolled students take regular college-level courses taught at John Tyler Community College's Chester or Midlothian Campus in addition to taking courses at their local high school. Tuition and fees at John Tyler run about one-third of the tuition and fees charged at four-year public colleges and universities in Virginia, so concurrent enrollment can also save high school students time and money.

If your child is currently attending a high school and is interested in concurrent enrollment at John Tyler Community College, click here. Teaching your child at home? Click here for information specific to home-schooled students.

How do we enroll?

Students generally apply for dual enrollment during the spring semester prior to their junior or senior year of high school. Your child's high school counselor can offer guidance on what dual enrollment courses work best with your child's future plans.

When high school students meet with their counselors, they will be given a packet of information and forms to complete. Students will also need to complete the John Tyler Community College online application, either at home or at their high school. The online application and all forms must be completed and returned to the counseling office by the deadline set by the high school. The deadline is usually in May. Be sure your child knows the deadline and completes all forms, the online application and placement testing prior to the deadline.

Dual enrollment students must meet course placement test requirements set by John Tyler Community College. Students enrolling in academic transfer courses must achieve qualifying scores on the PSAT, SAT or COMPASS standardized tests. Students enrolling in CTE courses must either have passing SOL scores in both math and English or qualifying PSAT, SAT or COMPASS standardized test scores. Your child's high school counselor will have a list of qualifying scores for each standardized test.

Students may have the option of taking the COMPASS test at their high school or at the College. Check with your child's high school counselor to determine if the COMPASS test is required.

Students should talk to their counselors about their plans after high school and the dual enrollment offerings at their school. John Tyler Community College's dual enrollment office can also provide additional information.

What about transcripts?
Dual enrollment students can request official transcripts from John Tyler Community College once their course is complete. Learn more about transcripts from your counselor or John Tyler Community College's Dual Enrollment Office.

You can also contact John Tyler Community College's Dual Enrollment Office at 804-706-5170.