Visual Arts, Photography Specialization
Associate of Applied Arts (A.A.A.)
For students who intend to pursue careers in photography. Program coursework provides a foundation for the fine and applied arts and allows students to learn techniques specific to photography. Students are required to prepare portfolios of their work.
Admission Requirements and Special Conditions
Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students must also complete placement tests (or equivalent) in English and mathematics, and scores will be used for appropriate course placement. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should see a counselor and returning students their advisor for more information.
|1st Semester||Credits||Standard Course Options|
|ART 101 History and Appreciation of Art I||3|
|ART 111 Introduction to the Arts I||3|
|ART 121 Drawing I||3|
|ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I||3|
|ENG 111 College Composition I||3|
|SDV 100 Orientation to Visual & Performing Arts Programs||1||SDV 100|
|2nd Semester||Credits||Standard Course Options|
|ART 102 History and Appreciation of Art II||3|
|ART 132 Fundamentals of Design II||3|
|ART 133 Visual Arts Foundation||4|
|ENG 112 College Composition II||3|
|PHT 164 Introduction to Digital Photography||3|
|3rd Semester||Credits||Standard Course Options|
|Communication Studies and Theatre Elective||3|
|Health or Physical Education Elective||1|
|Information Technology Elective||1|
|PHT 110 History of Photography||3|
|PHT 135 Electronic Darkroom||3|
|PHT 221 Studio Lighting I||3|
|4th Semester||Credits||Standard Course Options|
|ART 287 Portfolio and Resume Preparation||1|
|ART Elective||3||See Note 1.|
|Mathematics/Science Elective||3||See Note 2.|
|PHT 264 Digital Photography II||3|
|Photography or Film Elective||3||See Note 5.|
|Social/Behavioral Science Elective||3||See Note 3.|
|Total Credits For Program||65|
Notes and Additional Curriculum Options
- Approved Photography courses may be used to fulfill the Art elective requirement. Students should consult with their faculty advisor.
- The mathematic/science elective requirement can be satisfied by courses with the following prefixes: BIO, CHM, ENV, GOL, MTH, NAS and PHY.
- The social/behavioral science elective requirement can be satisfied by courses with the following prefixes: ECO, GEO, HIS, PLS, PSY and SOC.
- Part-time students should consult their faculty advisors regarding appropriate course sequences.
- Approved ART or CST courses may be used to satisfy the photography or film elective. Students should consult with their faculty advisors.
- Transfer to Four-Year Colleges and Universities – This program is not intended for transfer. Students desiring to transfer should consult their academic advisors and their intended transfer institutions for specific direction in program and course selection. Required courses for any major at four-year institutions may vary.
For additional information on this program, please contact the Division of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences: 804-706-5086 (Chester) or 804-594-1509 (Midlothian).