Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.)
The Information Technology (IT) degree is designed to meet the rapidly changing workforce needs of business and industry. The curriculum has been designed to prepare students for employment in the business information and computer technology fields. The curriculum allows students to gain an overall understanding of the IT field in addition to pursuing a particular track, which represents an area of interest or specialization. The five tracks are: Cisco network, computer applications, cyber security, network support and program development.
Program Requirements and Special Conditions
Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students must also complete placement tests (or equivalent) in English and mathematics, and scores will be used for appropriate course placement. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should see a counselor and returning students their advisor for more information. Keyboarding skills are recommended.
|1st Semester||Credits||Standard Course Options|
|PHI 111 Logic I||3||PHI 220. See Note 6.|
|ENG 115 Technical Writing||3||ENG 111|
|ITE 115 Introduction to Computer Applications and Concepts||3||See Note 5.|
|ITE 130 Introduction to Internet Services||3||ITN 261. See Note 7.|
|MTH 158 College Algebra||3||MTH 163|
|SDV 100 College Success Skills||1|
|Health/Physical Education Elective||1|
|2nd Semester||Credits||Standard Course Options|
|BUS 100 Introduction to Business||3|
|ITE 215 Advanced Computer Applications & Integration||3||See Note 5.|
|ITN 101 Introduction to Network Concepts||3|
|ITP 100 Software Design||3|
|IT Track Courses||6/7|
|3rd Semester||Credits||Standard Course Options|
|ACC 211 Principles of Accounting I||3|
|ECO 120 Survey of Economics||3||ECO 201, ECO 202|
|ITP 251 Systems Analysis and Design||3|
|PSY 126 Psychology for Business and Industry||3||PSY 100, PSY 200|
|IT Track Courses||3|
|4th Semester||Credits||Standard Course Options|
|ACC 212 Principles of Accounting II||3|
|BUS 220 Introduction to Business Statistics||3|
|ITE 221 PC Hardware and OS Architecture||3|
|ITE 290 Coordinated Internship||1|
|IT Track Courses||6|
|Total Credits For Program||66/67|
Notes and Additional Curriculum Options
- ITE 290 represents a one-credit internship that will focus on student’s particular track.
- All information technology courses must be completed within five years of student’s intended graduation date.
- Students should consult their faculty advisors regarding appropriate course sequences.
- Prerequisite requirement(s) must be met for all classes.
- Students with good computer skills may seek to satisfy this requirement by CLEP.
- The humanities elective requirement must be satisfied by completing one 3-credit conceptual humanities course that offers breadth of knowledge. Additional humanities electives may be conceptual or applied with a focus on skills, techniques and procedures. See website (http://www.jtcc.edu/humanitieselectives) for a list of approved conceptual and applied humanities electives.
- ITN 261 should be used in place of ITE 130 for students that pursue the Cyber Security Track.
- Transfer to Four-Year Colleges and Universities – This program is not intended for transfer. Students desiring to transfer should consult their academic advisors and their intended transfer institutions for specific direction in program and course selection. Required courses for any major at four-year institutions may vary.
- IT required track courses:
Cisco Network Credits ITN 154 Networking Fundamentals - Cisco 4 ITN 155 Introductory Routing - Cisco 3 ITN 156 Basic Switching and Routing - Cisco 3 ITN 157 WAN Technologies - Cisco 3 ITP Elective Track Course (ITP 110, ITP 120, OR ITP 160) 3 Total 16 Computer Applications Credits ITD 110 Web Page Design I 3 ITD 130 Database Fundamentals 3 ITD 132 Structured Query Language 3 ITD 210 Web Page Design II 3 ITE Elective Track Course (ITE 140 OR ITE 150) 3 Total 15 Cyber Security Track Credits ITN 260 Network Security Basics 3 ITN 262 Network Communication, Security and Authentication 3 ITN 263 Internet/Intranet Firewalls and E-Commerce Security 3 ITN 266 Network Security Layers 3 ITN 267 Legal Topics in Network Security 3 Total 15 Network Support Credits ITN 171 Unix I 3 ITN 111 Server Administration Windows 2008 3 ITN 245 Network Troubleshooting 3 ITN 260 Network Security Basics 3 ITP Elective Track Course (ITP 110, ITP 120, OR ITP 160) 3 Total 15 Program Development Credits ITP 110 Visual Basic Programming I 3 ITP 120 Java Programming I 3 ITP 210 Visual Basic Programming II OR ITP 220 Java Programming II 3 ITP 160 Introduction to Game Design and Development 3 ITN Elective Track Course (ITN 171, ITN 111, OR ITN 154) 4 Total 16
For additional information on this program, please contact the Division of Engineering, Business and Public Service: 804-706-5121(Chester) or 804-594-1480 (Midlothian).
*Programs not eligible for financial aid.
**Programs related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics and health (STEM-H).
***Programs related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics and health (STEM-H) and not eligible for financial aid.
Pending approval. Approval expected during 2015-2016 academic year.