It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Declaring a Major

To receive financial aid and to graduate from John Tyler Community College, you must declare a major (also known as being curriculum-placed).  

How to declare a major:

  • Follow the appropriate steps for admission to John Tyler.
  • Fulfill the placement testing requirements, either by taking placement tests at the College or by submitting satisfactory SAT or ACT test scores.  
  • Visit the Counseling Center to discuss your future plans and Tyler's majors. You'll also complete paperwork to officially declare your major. Save your copy of the paperwork, because it includes the name and contact information of your academic advisor.  Once you declare your major, you should make an appointment with your academic advisor each semester to discuss your course options before registering for classes. 
  • If you are a transfer student, the Admissions and Records Office will evaluate your transcripts when they receive your official request to declare a major at Tyler.

    Provide the College with official copies of transcripts from high school and all colleges and universities previously attended only if any of the following are applicable:
    • You are applying for Allied Health Preparation, Pre-Nursing, Funeral Services; Emergency Medical Services; or Nursing;
    • You have been suspended or dismissed from another college or university; and/or
    • You are requesting a transcript review for transfer credits from a college outside the VCCS.
myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?