Active Shooter/Gunman on Campus
This video was funded by the Department of Homeland Security and made by the city of Houston, Texas. It is graphic in nature and may be disturbing to some viewers; however there is useful information in the video. The video outlines three steps you can take to protect yourself in the case of an active shooting: run, hide, fight. Additional reference materials can be found at: www.dhs.gov/active-shooter-preparedness.
If an active shooter is in your vicinity, quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your life.
1. Evacuate the area if possible.
• Have an escape route and plan in mind before attempting to evacuate.
• Leave your belongings behind.
• Keep your hands visible.
2. If it is too dangerous to leave the area, hide.
• Do not remain in an open hallway or area.
• Hide in an area out of the shooter’s view.
• Block entry to your hiding place by barricading and/or locking the doors.
• Silence your cell phone and/or pager.
3. Take action as a last resort and only if your life is in imminent danger.
• Attempt to incapacitate the shooter.
• Act with physical aggression and throw items at the active shooter.
Call 911 when it is safe to do so.
Please note, the previous information cannot cover every possible situation that might occur.
Security Services Contact Information
Goyne Hall – lobby
Moyar Hall – 1st floor (across from M101)
Administration Building – 1st floor atrium
Eliades Hall – 2nd floor (next to E215)
Hamel Hall – 1st floor (near H109)
T-Building – inside the main entrance