The Mellon Pathways Program is a new partnership between John Tyler Community College (Tyler), J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College (Reynolds), and Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). The program offers pathways, resources, and support for students who are completing their associate’s degree at Tyler or Reynolds and planning to transfer to VCU to complete their bachelor’s degree in the arts or humanities.
Students participating in the Mellon Pathways Program also have the opportunity to apply to become a Mellon Research Fellow, where they will receive a stipend to support conducting a research project with a faculty member and presenting their work at a year-end colloquium.
Being a part of the Mellon Pathways Program provides students with access to resources and a support system to enhance their academic success. It also gives them an opportunity to save money on tuition by taking classes at the community college that count: count towards their degree, count in their future, and count for transfer.
Log in to your VCCS email and fill out our online declaration form; for priority consideration, apply by August 1.
Mellon Pathways Program
The Mellon Pathways Program offers pathways, resources, and support for students who are completing an associate’s degree at JTCC and planning to transfer to VCU to complete their Bachelor’s degree in the arts or humanities.
Q: What are the eligibility requirements to participate in Mellon Pathways?
A: We encourage applications from students who plan to complete their associate’s degree at Tyler and then transfer to VCU for a Bachelor’s degree and:
- are planning to major in Anthropology, Art History, English, Foreign Language, History, International Studies, Music, Philosophy, Religious Studies, or Theater or are undecided and planning to major in a Humanities or Arts field
- have completed 15 or fewer credits*
- are able to attend half-day orientation at the Midlothian campus on August 22 from 1–4 p.m. or September 10 from 3–6 p.m.
Q: What are the benefits of being in this program?
A: Students will receive enhanced advising about course selection, transfer logistics, and financial aid, along with major and career exploration, and additional support through and after the transfer process. In addition, as part of the Pathways Program, students will:
- Participate in free activities, events, and workshops at VCU, at Tyler, and around Richmond.
- Become acquainted with VCU before transfer and be part of a supportive community of students and faculty.
- Have additional internship opportunities and preparation for career and graduate school goals.
- Have the chance to become a Mellon Research Fellow and receive a $5000 stipend.
Q: What majors are included in Mellon Pathways?
A: This program is open to students who plan to study Anthropology, Art History, English, Foreign Language, History, International Studies, Music, Philosophy, Religious Studies, or Theater, or who are interested in majoring in an area in the arts or humanities, but are not sure which.
Q: What is expected of program participants?
A: Each semester, each student will choose three Pathways Program social gatherings, workshops, campus tours, cultural outings, online modules or other events and have two advising sessions with their Transfer Coach and/or Transfer Coordinator. Continuation in the program requires:
- Maintaining a 2.50 GPA and completing at least 6 degree-applicable credits with a C or better each fall and spring semester.
- Completing ENG 111 and the first college-level MTH course in the semester immediately following completion of any MTE or ENF courses (excluding summer), and completion of ENG 111 and ENG 112 and the first college-level MTH course with a C or better in the first 30 credits.
Q: Can a student apply to the program if he or she is planning to start at Tyler next semester?
A: Yes! This program is open to all incoming, returning, and current students with 15 or fewer credits.
Q: What if a student has more than 15 academic credits, but wants to be part of the program?
A: If a student has more than 15 academic credits, but has at least three semesters left at Tyler and would like to participate in the program, please contact your Tyler transfer coach, Kirstin Pantazis or the Program Director, Dr. Micol Hutchison to discuss and determine possible eligibility.
Q: How do I apply?
A: Log in to your VCCS/Tyler email account and fill in the online declaration form to be considered for Mellon Pathways. Priority deadlines are August 1 for fall semester and December 1 for spring semester. Declarations will be accepted year-round, but to be fully part of the program in a given semester, please apply by the priority deadline.
Mellon Research Fellows
Mellon Research Fellows are motivated Mellon Pathways Program students who will:
- work with a faculty member on a research project
- present at end-of-year colloquium
- participate in at least one Mellon Program cultural activity or workshop per semester
Mellon Research Fellows receive:
- preparation for upper-level university work
- enhanced mentorship and advising
- a $5000 stipend for the school year for use towards tuition, books, school supplies and equipment, professional development and student activities
Up to eight Mellon Research Fellows will be accepted into this program each year. If you are interested in becoming a Mellon Research Fellow, please contact your transfer coach, Kirstin Pantazis. Selection of the Mellon Research Fellows will be based on application essay, GPA and other evidence of commitment to obtaining a Bachelor’s degree.
Kirstin Pantazis, Tyler Transfer Coach, at email@example.com or 804-594-1564
Ian Coyle, VCU Transfer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-827-8216
Micol Hutchison, Program Director, at email@example.com or 804-819-4978
Current Pathways Program Participant Resources
Folio Cafe Schedule
(Please remember that your Login is your vccs email address without the @email.vccs.edu part).