The Arts at Tyler
Explore. Grow. Do.
Make films. Produce plays. Take photos. Create print and web design pieces. Create art and show it. Museum-hop in New York with your classmates. Travel to Europe.
The arts at John Tyler are all about doing. And because studio classes are capped at 18 students, you'll get lots of individual attention. Courses are taught by practicing artists who are experts in their fields. Not sure where you want to go? Don't worry. John Tyler is a place built on experimentation. Whether you're intrigued by improv or InDesign, you'll get a foundation you can build on, and the chance to explore.
John Tyler students graduate to careers as working artists, or transfer to four-year institution. Our transfer success rate is excellent, and our graduates go on to some of the most prestigious arts programs in the country.
What do people like so much about John Tyler?
- Our fine arts studio space, with its natural light and great ceramics facilities.
- A robust collection of film and photo equipment.
- Theatre productions: from sketch and improv to full-blown productions.
- Extensive Macintosh labs with state-of-the-art design, web and video software and hardware.
- Juried student art competitions.
- A vibrant, nurturing arts community, with four active student arts clubs.
- Instruction by expert working artists, at a fraction of the cost of four-year programs.
- Study abroad trips to Italy and the U.K.
- Fool for Art, the College's spring arts and community festival.
- Yearly museum-hopping trips to NYC.
Degrees and certificates
John Tyler lets you choose the right certificate or degree to match your goals:
- Fine Arts Certificate
- Liberal Arts AA
- Liberal Arts, Music Specialization AA
- Liberal Arts, Theatre Arts Specialization AA
- Visual Arts AAA
- Visual Arts, Film Specialization AAA
- Visual Arts, Photography Specialization AAA
- Visual Arts, Visual Communication Specialization AAA
The arts at John Tyler are all about doing, and vibrant student clubs offer a chance to do more: enter exhibitions, travel to places like New York and Europe, act in student productions, be a student leader, and more. All while building a sense of community outside the classroom. Among John Tyler Community College's student organizations are:
- Art Club
- Film Club
- Theatre Club
- Improv Club
Follow John Tyler Community College visual and performing arts on Facebook for the latest on club events and activities.