Transfer Planning Guide
Transfer takes careful planning. Use this guide to stay on track.
Not enrolled full-time at Tyler? Talk to your academic advisor each semester and ask for help adjusting this timeline to your needs.
Four Semesters Before Transferring
- Choose a major at Tyler
- Learn more about general education requirements and lower-division components of the major you plan to pursue. Ask your academic advisor if you have questions.
- Research four-year colleges and universities. Key features to consider: majors offered, cost, location, size and services.
- Look for scholarships, discounts or other ways to help pay for college. Consider the Virginia Two-Year College Transfer Grant.
Three Semesters Before Transferring
- Decide which transfer institution best meets your needs. Share your decision with your academic advisor.
- Use your chosen four-year institution's guaranteed admissions agreement and transfer guide as you select classes.
- Keep up with important academic dates and deadlines at Tyler.
Two Semesters Before Transferring
- Continue selecting courses that transfer appropriately. Your advisor can help.
- Apply to your chosen four-year(s). Submit applications for admission and financial aid, as well as official transcripts.
- Once admitted, complete any scholarship and housing applications.
- Be sure you're on track. Check in with your academic advisor at Tyler and staff at your transfer institution about your plans and any changing program requirements.
One Semester Before Transferring
- Apply to graduate from Tyler with your associate degree.
- Send official transcripts at the end of your last semester before transferring.
- Verify that you do not possess any financial/administrative holds at Tyler. They'll be in the Student Center area of myTyler.
- Familiarize yourself with your transfer institution. Attend a new student orientation if possible. Request maps, parking, or other essential information that will help once you're on campus.
Questions? Talk to your academic advisor.