Tips on Applying
Welcome to John Tyler Community College’s online admissions application process. Below are some tips and reminders about the application process:
- Keying Information: Please enter your information in upper/lower case format. Use capital letters only at the beginning of your name and address. When entering your name, enter your full first and last name, but only your middle initial. Please do not use the “Former Name” section of the application as the information may conflict with existing records.
Be sure to choose the semester that you intend to start classes. If you do not enroll in that semester but decide to enroll in the following semester, you will need to contact the Admissions Office to have your status activated. The office can be reached by e-mailing email@example.com. You will be asked to provide your Student ID number (EmplID). If you apply but do not enroll within one year (3 semesters), you must reapply to the College.
If you have previously applied for admission, attended (credit/non-credit classes), or been employed by any Virginia Community College, be sure to answer “yes” to that question at the bottom of the first page. The application will link to your existing record.
- Name Changes: If you have previously applied and your name has changed since then, you will need to apply using your previous name. Example: Your old name is Sandy P. Jones, and you applied in 2005. Your new name is Sandy J. Perkins. In order to apply online to John Tyler, you will need to apply as Sandy P. Jones. Then, you will need to bring proof of your name change to the Office of Admissions and Records at the Chester or Midlothian Campus. Examples of approved name change documentation include: a VA driver's license, a marriage license, a divorce decree, or legal documentation for name change approved by the courts. Once this information has been received, your name change will be reflected in our system.
- Social Security Number. Disclosure of your social security number is not required at this time, but it is highly recommended. Disclosure ultimately will be required for most students at the time of enrollment, per § 6050S of the Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, or at the time of disbursement of federal financial aid, per 34 Code of Federal Regulations Part 668.36. Section 23-2.2:1 of the Code of Virginia also authorizes the Virginia Community College System to collect student social security numbers and other personally identifiable information prior to a student’s enrollment, and requires it to electronically transmit enrollment data to the State Police. However, the VCCS will only use your social security number in accordance with federal and state reporting requirements, and for identification purposes within the VCCS. It shall not permit further disclosure unless required or authorized by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, 20 U.S.C. § 1232g, or pursuant to your obtained consent.
- Declaring a Major: On your application you will be allowed to choose a program of interest. Please note, however, that your admission to JTCC does not automatically place you in that major. If you intend to pursue a degree or certificate at John Tyler, it is your responsibility to meet all major admissions requirements by the deadline noted in the current schedule of classes. These requirements include:
- providing, upon request, JTCC with official copies of transcripts from all high schools, colleges and universities you previously attended. If you plan to study allied health/nursing or funeral services, you must bring official sealed copies of all high school, college, and university transcripts when you meet with a counselor. If you are in any other program, you are not required to provide official high school transcripts.
- satisfying placement testing requirements, by scheduling and taking placement tests at the College’s Testing Center.
- visiting the Advising Center (no appointment is necessary) to officially declare a major.
- Registering for Courses: During a typical registration period, once you have completed the web application and received your username, you should be able to register for courses instantly.
To register for courses online, use the myTyler portal. To access the myTyler portal you will need your username and password. Your username and password is provided when you submit your admissions application. If you did not receive a username or temporary password for the myTyler portal you can retrieve it by using the username and password lookup form. For assistance on how to enroll in a course or navigate through the Student Information System in the myTyler portal please review our tutorials
Please remember that it is your responsibility to meet all placement testing and pre-requisite requirements before enrolling in courses.
Please note that dual enrollment students, concurrently enrolled high school and home-schooled students, students who have been suspended from other institutions and non-high school graduates cannot register online. You must visit the Advising Center, in order to enroll in classes.
- If you apply to John Tyler Community College and never attend, your admissions application will be discontinued after three semesters.
- Special cases: Please note that the College reserves the right to evaluate applications for admission and to refuse admission to applicants when it is considered to be in the best interest of the College or when there is sufficient reason to believe that applicants present a danger to themselves or to other members of the College community.
If you prefer not to complete an online application, please download this application. You can fax your completed application to the Admissions and Records Office in Chester at 804-796-4362 or in Midlothian at 804-594-1543.