The U.S. Census Bureau has released population predictions for 2050. If you are a Millennial, the generation defined by Pew Research as being born between 1981 and 2000, you can expect to retire about that same time. What changes can you expect?
- The world will definitely be more crowded, the population is expected to reach 9 billion by 2040.
- Due to lower fertility rates China will no longer be the most populous nation. It will be replaced by India by 2025.
- The U.S. will remain at number three and the only country in the top ten currently as defined by the United Nations as “more developed.”
Does anyone have a crystal ball that can foresee into the future? Probably not, but there are plenty who try (and write about) it! Here are some books at JTCC that predict future trends:
- The coming famine: the global food crisis and what we can do to avoid it Julian Cribb.
- The coming population crash: and our planet’s surprising future Fred Pearce
- The next hundred million: America in 2050 Joel Kotkin
- Physics of the future: how science will shape human destiny and our daily lives by the year 2100 Michio Kaku.
You can search “forecasting” in the library’s catalog to discover more items foretelling the future. You can even find the prophecies of the French seer Nostradamus!
What does your future hold? Tell us in the comments.