Business Information Management CSC
The template below is for students declaring a major for the catalog year 2018-19. The Advising Sheet Archive contains printable advising sheets for the catalog years 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19. Students already with a declared major should view their advising report in SIS for appropriate course selection.
Career Studies Certificate (CSC)
Career & technical education programs for job training
= Career & technical education programs for job training, guided by Advisory Committees
O Majors with completely online option = Majors with completely online option
A cross-discipline curriculum designed to provide a foundation in business management and information technology. This career studies certificate program recognizes the blend between information technology skills and business management knowledge and practice. Most managers find technology an integral part of their work, while IT professionals find that information technology specialists require an understanding of the management of both data and people. This is a first level program for a person who intends to pursue a certificate and/or associate degree in either business or information technology.
Program Requirements and Special Conditions
Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit www.jtcc.edu/placement for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
|Required Courses||CR.||Pre-requisite Courses||Approved Course Substitutions|
|ENG 111 College Composition I||3||See Placement Requirements|
|BUS 100 Introduction to Business||3|
|Business Elective(Choose one):
BUS 200 Principles of Management
BUS 205 Human Resource Management
|Business/Information Technology Elective||3||See Note 1.|
|ITE 115 Introduction to Computer Applications and Concepts||3||See Note 3.|
|Information Technology Elective(Choose one)
ITE 140 Spreadsheet Software
ITE 150 Desktop Database Software
ITE 215 Advanced Computer Applications and Integration
|3||See Note 4.|
|Total Minimum Credits to Complete||18|
- Select one course with the following prefixes: BUS, ITD, ITE, ITN or ITP. Selection must be approved by the faculty advisor. When selecting electives, the student must consider the prerequisite courses that apply to some BUS and IT courses.
- The courses in this career studies certificate program provide foundations in basic business practices and information technology that can be applied to other certificate and degree programs.
- Students with good computer skills may seek to satisfy this requirement by CLEP.
- Students may not substitute ITE 130 for this IT Elective.
- Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their advisement report in MyTyler – SIS.
Your Right to Know
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia requires colleges to provide information on graduation rates. The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to publish gainful employment consumer information for career/technical programs.