General Studies, Computer Science Specialization AS
The template below is for students declaring a major for the catalog year 2018-19. The Advising Sheet Archive contains printable advising sheets for the catalog years 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19. Students already with a declared major should view their advising report in SIS for appropriate course selection.
Associate of Science (AS)
The Computer Science specialization is designed for students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university to major in computer science or related field. The program emphasizes the study of the science of computing and the use of computing in a scientific setting.
Program Requirements and Special Conditions
Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit www.jtcc.edu/placement for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the advising center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete their SDV, ENG, and MTH requirements first.
- A sequence BIO 101 & BIO 102, CHM 111 & CHM 112, or PHY 241 & PHY 242 is recommended.
- Courses noted as Spring only are based on historical trends and current planning and may change without notice.
- Students planning to transfer to VT for Computer Science should complete the Engineering AS.
- Students should confer with their intended transfer institution to ensure transferability into the desired program.
Your Right to Know
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia requires colleges to provide information on graduation rates. The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to publish gainful employment consumer information for career/technical programs.