General Studies, Music Specialization AS
The template below is for students declaring a major for the catalog year 2018-19. The Advising Sheet Archive contains printable advising sheets for the catalog years 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19. Students already with a declared major should view their advising report in SIS for appropriate course selection.
Associate of Science (AS)
The associate of science curriculum in general studies with a specialization in music is designed for students who plan to transfer to four-year colleges or universities and seek bachelor’s degrees in music or music education. This program is intended to provide students with a general course of study that parallels the freshman and sophomore years at most colleges and universities. The courses in this program are specifically selected for ease of transfer to most four-year colleges and universities. Following the prescribed coursework in this program will result in graduation with the associate of science degree (AS). Students should consult with their advisors to ensure that they select general electives that best prepare them for the specific requirements of their intended transfer college or university programs of study.
Program Requirements and Special Conditions
Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit www.jtcc.edu/placement for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete their SDV, ENG, and MTH requirements first.
- General education and major degree requirements will vary by institution and by program. Students must meet with their academic advisor to determine the best choices for transfer. Note that some course options have prerequisites.
- Music Electives include those courses listed under Applied Music and Ensemble Music electives. Some four-year programs require a foreign language. See advisor to determine best options for transfer. Note that some options have prerequisites.
- Voice majors are generally required to take French, German or Italian. JTCC offers FRE courses online and on campus whereas *GER courses are offered online only through Northern Virginia Community College. Italian is not currently being offered. Students transferring to programs that require a foreign language should enroll into 102. See advisor to determine best options for transfer.
- Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their advisement report in MyTyler – SIS.
Your Right to Know
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia requires colleges to provide information on graduation rates. The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to publish gainful employment consumer information for career/technical programs.