skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

General Studies, Teacher Education Specialization Elementary (K-6) AS

The template below is for students declaring a major for the catalog year 2018-19. The Advising Sheet Archive contains printable advising sheets for the catalog years 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19. Students already with a declared major should view their advising report in SIS for appropriate course selection.

Interest in Teaching? View our Teacher Education Site!

Associate of Science (AS)

T Transfer degrees for accepting institutions = Transfer degrees for accepting institutions, see


This program is intended to provide the student with a general course of study that parallels the freshman and sophomore years at most colleges and universities and prepares the student for a baccalaureate degree program in K-6. Students who wish to complete this program will be required to pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills  exams test prior to transferring to the four-year institution. Students should consult with their advisors to ensure that they select courses that best prepare them for the specific requirements of their intended transfer college or university. Note that special education, physical education, health, art and music education majors must follow a different curriculum as determined by each transfer institution. Specific elementary teacher education requirements vary at senior institutions, however, and students should consult with senior institutions for additional guidance regarding pre-teacher preparation.

Program Requirements and Special Conditions

Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. Students who register in this program need to know which four-year college/university they plan to attend so they can select the most appropriate courses in areas where there are choices. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.


printer iconPrintable Advising Sheet

Required Courses CR. Pre-requisite Courses Approved Course Substitutions
SDV 101 Orientation to Future Teachers 1   SDV 100
ENG 111 College Composition I 3 See Placement Requirements  
ENG 112 College Composition II 3 ENG 111  
Literature Elective (choose 1):
ENG 241 Survey of American Literature I
ENG 242 Survey of American Literature II
ENG 251 Survey of World Literature I
ENG 252 Survey of World Literature II
3 ENG 112  
CST 100 Principles of Public Speaking  3    
MTH 154 Quantitative Reasoning or MTH 161 Precalculus I 3 See Placement Requirements See Note 2
MTH 245 Statistics I or MTH 162 Precalculus II 3 See Placement Requirements See Note 2
HIS 111 History of World Civilization I or
HIS 112 History of World Civilization II
3   See Note 2
HIS 121 United States History I or HIS 122 United States History II 3    
BIO 101 General Biology I 4 See Placement Requirements  
PHY 101 Introduction to Physics I 4    
ART 101 History and Appreciation of Art or
ART 102 History and Appreciation of Art II or
MUS 121 Music Appreciation I
ECO 201 Principles of Economics: Macroeconomics or
ECO 202 Principles of Microeconomics
GEO 210 People and the Land: Cultural Geography 3    
PLS 135 American National Politics 3    
PSY 230 Developmental Psychology 3    
SPA 101 Beginning Spanish I or
FRE 101 Beginning French I or Approved Elective
3-4   See Notes 2 & 3 and Approved Electives list
SPA 102 Beginning Spanish II or
FRE 102 Beginning French II or Approved Elective
3-4   See Notes 2 & 3 and Approved Electives list
Approved Elective
Choose 1 from Courses listed previously, or 1 of the following:
ENG 210 Advanced Composition
FRE 201 Intermediate French I
FRE 202 Intermediate French II
HLT 160 Personal Health and Wellness
ITE 115 Intro to Computer Applications and Concepts or
ITE 119 Information Literacy
MTH 263 Calculus I (4 credits)
PHI 220 Ethics
REL 230 Religions of the World
SPA 201 Intermediate Spanish I
SPA 202 Intermediate Spanish II
3 See catalog for pre-requisite requirements. See Note 3
EDU 200 Introduction to Teaching as a Profession 3 24 credits of transfer courses  
Total Minimum Credits to Complete 60    


  1. Students are strongly encouraged to complete their SDV, ENG, and MTH requirements first.
  2. Students should consult with their academic advisor and check with prospective four-year institutions to determine best options for transfer.
  3. Some transfer institutions/majors require that students have a foreign language proficiency through the 102 level. Students who took 3 years of the same foreign language in high school may be exempt from this requirement. Native/fluent speakers may enroll directly into SPA or FRE 102. Please check with your faculty advisor to determine if your transfer institution requires a foreign language and/or if you wish to take a language other than Spanish or French.
  4. Students must complete a minimum of 60 credits to earn an associate degree.
  5. Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their advisement report in MyTyler – SIS.

Your Right to Know

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia requires colleges to provide information on graduation rates. The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to publish gainful employment consumer information for career/technical programs.

Get More Information:
Division of Engineering, Business and Public Services

Chester: 804-706-5121
Midlothian: 804-594-1480

myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?