Career Studies Certificate (CSC)
C Career & technical education programs for job training = Career & technical education programs for job training, guided by Advisory Committees
The Certified Nurse Aide/Medication Aide Career Studies Certificate is designed to provide entry-level training for nurse aides and for occupational progression to become a Medication Aide. This program prepares students for the Virginia Board of Nursing's occupational exams for Certified Nursing Assistant and Registered Medication Aide.
Program Requirements and Special Conditions
- Students must meet JTCC admission requirements.
- Students must be able to fulfill all essential functions as outlined in the program materials located on the web site.
- Before enrolling in HCT 101 & HCT 102 all students must have current CPR certification through the American Heart Association: BLS Healthcare Provider. Internet courses are not acceptable unless there is a supervised demonstration component.
- Before enrolling in HCT 101 & HCT 102 students must submit to a criminal background check, drug screening and physical examination with immunization as indicated. Additional testing may be required. Evidence of hepatitis-B vaccination or declination statement must be provided. Results of screenings must be available and evaluated as satisfactory by the dates provided at the time of enrollment. Students who fail to meet this requirement will not be allowed to enroll in HCT 101 and HCT 102.
- The criminal background and physical examination requirements are conducted by an independent company not associated with JTCC and is considered to be part of the expenses students are responsible for prior to enrolling in HCT 101 and HCT 102.This process can take 30 days to complete. Students should contact the nursing department at 804-6228-700 and refer to the CNA Student Handbook for more information.
- The program requires additional expenditures for the student’s health assessment, immunizations, urine drug screen, criminal background check, CPR certification, student liability, uniforms, supplies, and equipment, which are required for clinical assignments in HCT 101 and HCT 102.
- A prospective student with a felony/misdemeanor conviction needs to see the HCT course instructor/program advisor. Certain convictions will prevent an individual from being certified as a nurse aide in Virginia and other states.
- Students who plan to apply to the AAS in Nursing Program will need to complete the following pre-requisite courses before starting the Program: SDV 100, BIO 141, ENG 111, MTH 157, and PSY 230.
- To become a certified nurse aide (CNA), a student must satisfactorily complete HCT 101 and HCT 102 and pass a national exam that includes both written and practical components.
- To enroll in HCT 115, students must be a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA).
- To become a Medication Aide a student must satisfactorily have passed the CNA exam and the PSI Medication Aide exam.
|Required Courses||CR.||Pre-requisite Courses||Co-requisite Courses||Approved Course Substitutions|
|HLT 143 Medical Terminology||3|
|HCT 101 Health Care Technician I||3||See Note 1||HCT 102|
|HCT 102 Health Care Technician II||4||See Note 1||HCT 101|
|MILESTONE: Eligible to Sit for Certified Nursing Assistant Exam|
|HCT 115 Medication Administration Training||3||HCT 101, HCT 102, See Notes 2 and 3||HCT 190|
|HCT 190 Coordinated Internship||2||HCT 101, HCT 102, See Notes 2 and 3||HCT 115|
|NUR 31 Advanced Skills for Nurse Aide||2||HCT 101, HCT 102, See Notes 1 and 2|
|MILESTONE: Eligible to Sit for the Medication Aide Exam|
|Total Minimum Credits to Complete||17|
- Students must be able to pass background check and drug screen before taking HCT 101 and HCT 102. These courses must be taken concurrently.
- Students cannot register for HCT 115, HCT 190, or NUR 31 until they have successfully passed the CNA certification exam.
- Students who are already Certified Nursing Assistants in Virginia maybe considered for credit for prior learning and eligible to enroll in HCT 115, HCT 190, and NUR 31.
- Students are eligible to take the PSI Medication Aide exam after completion of HCT 115 and HCT 190.
Your Right to Know
The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia requires colleges to provide information on graduation rates. The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to publish gainful employment consumer information for career/technical programs.