skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Liberal Arts, Music Specialization AA

Associate of Arts (AA)

T Transfer degrees for accepting institutions Transfer degrees for accepting institutions = Transfer degrees for accepting institutions, see


The associate of arts curriculum in liberal arts with a specialization in music is designed for students who plan to transfer to four-year colleges or universities and seek bachelor’s degrees in music or music education, particularly in programs that require foreign language as part of their general education requirements.

Program Requirements and Special Conditions

Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.

printer iconPrintable Advising Sheet

Required Courses CR. Pre-requisite Courses Approved Course Substitutions
SDV 101 Orientation to Visual and Performing Arts Programs 1   SDV 100
ENG 111 College Composition I 3 See Placement Requirements  
MTH 170 Foundations in Contemporary Mathematics or MTH 157 Elementary Statistics 3 See Placement Requirements See Note 2
Foreign Language (101) 4   See Note 3
Laboratory Science Elective 4   See Note 4
MUS 111 Music Theory I Offered Fall only 4    
ENG 112 College Composition II 3 ENG 111  
History Elective 3   See Note 5
Laboratory Science Elective 4   See Note 4
History Elective 3   See Note 5
Social/Behavioral Science Elective 3   See Note 6
MILESTONE: General Education Certificate (See faculty advisor)
Foreign Language (102) 4   See Note 3
MUS 112 Music Theory II Offered Spring only 4    
Music Electives 5   See Note 7
Foreign Language (201) 3   See Note 3
Literature Elective 3 ENG 112 See Note 8
Transfer Elective 3   See Note 9
Foreign Language (202) 3   See Note 3
Total Minimum Credits to Complete 60  


  1. Students are strongly encouraged to complete their SDV, ENG, and MTH requirements first.
  2. Students must consult with an advisor since math requirements of different majors vary by program and transfer institution.
  3. Students must demonstrate competency in a foreign language through the 202 level by completing appropriate courses and/or examinations. Placement in foreign language is by SAT II Subject Test score or departmental recommendation. Students who are not required to take introductory level courses must substitute other approved transfer electives. See Note 9.
  4. The laboratory science requirement can be satisfied by the following courses: BIO 101, BIO 102, BIO 110, BIO 120, CHM 101, CHM 102, CHM 111, CHM 112, ENV 121, ENV 122, GOL 105, NAS 125, PHY 101, PHY 102, PHY 150, PHY 201, PHY 202, PHY 241, and PHY 242.
  5. The history elective requirement can be satisfied by the following courses: HIS 101, HIS 102, HIS 111, HIS 112, HIS 121, HIS 122 or any other HIS course approved by the student’s advisor.
  6. The social/behavioral science elective can be satisfied with the following prefixes: ECO, GEO, PLS, HIS, PSY (except PSY 100), and SOC. Students interested in pursuing a degree in music education should take PSY 230.
  7. The music elective requirements must include 3 credits in music history or appreciation and 2 credits of applied music.
  8. The literature requirement can be satisfied by any 200-level English literature course, exclusive of composition and creative writing courses.
  9. Students should consult with prospective four-year transfer institutions to determine degree requirements when selecting electives. See for a list of Approved Transfer Electives.
  10. Related Certificate (C) – General Education
  11. Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their advisement report in MyTyler – SIS.
  12. Courses noted as Fall only or Spring only are based on historical trends and current planning and may change without notice.

2017-2018 College Catalog & Student Handbook

Your Right to Know

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia requires colleges to provide information on graduation rates. The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to publish gainful employment consumer information for career/technical programs.

Get More Information:
Division of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences

Chester: 804-706-5086
Midlothian: 804-594-1509


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?