skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Liberal Arts, Secondary Teacher Education Specialization in English AA

Interest in Teaching? View our Teacher Education Site!

Associate of Arts (AA)

T Transfer degrees for accepting institutions Transfer degrees for accepting institutions = Transfer degrees for accepting institutions, see


This program is specifically designed for students who plan to transfer into an English major at most four-year universities and plan to teach English at the secondary level. Following the prescribed coursework in this program will result in graduation with the Associate in Arts Degree (A.A.) in Liberal Arts with a Specialization in Secondary Teacher Education in English. Students who complete this program will be required to pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills exams for acceptance into teacher education programs at four-year universities. Students should consult with their faculty advisors to ensure that they select courses that best prepare them for the specific requirements of their intended transfer college or university for a major in English. Specific secondary teacher education requirements vary at universities; however, and students should consult with four-year universities for additional guidance regarding electives for pre-teacher preparation.

Program Requirements and Special Conditions

Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students may need to complete placement tests in English and mathematics. Visit for all course placement options. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should visit the Advising Center and returning students their faculty advisor for more information.

printer iconPrintable Advising Sheet

Required Courses CR. Pre-requisite Courses Approved Course Substitutions
SDV 101 Orientation to Future Teachers 1   SDV 100
ENG 111 College Composition I 3 See Placement Requirements  
MTH 170 Foundations in Contemporary Mathematics 3 See Placement Requirements MTH 157, MTH 163, See Note 2
HIS 121 United States History I 3   HIS 122, See Note 3
Foreign Language (101) 4   See Note 4
Laboratory Science Elective 4   See Note 5
ENG 112 College Composition II 3 ENG 111  
HIS 101 History of Western Civilization 3   HIS 102, HIS 111, HIS 112, See Note 3
Foreign Language (102) 4   See Note 4
Laboratory Science Elective 4   See Note 5
ART 101 History and Appreciation of Art I or ART 102 history and Appreciation of Art II 3   MUS 121
PSY 230 Developmental Psychology or PSY 235 Child Psychology 3    
MILESTONE: General Education Certificate (See faculty advisor)
ENG 241 Survey of American Literature I or ENG 242 Survey of American Literature II 3 ENG 112 See Note 6
CST 100 Principles of Public Speaking 3    
Foreign Language (201) 3   See Note 4
Health/Physical Education Elective/Dance Elective 1    
Literature Elective 3 ENG 112 See Note 6
Transfer Elective 3   See Note 7
Foreign Language (202) 3   See Note 4
EDU 200 Introduction to Teaching as a Profession 3 24 credits of transfer courses  
Total Minimum Credits to Complete 60    


  1. Students are strongly encouraged to complete their SDV, ENG, and MTH requirements first.
  2. Students must consult with an advisor since math requirements of different majors vary by program and transfer institution.
  3. It is recommended that the HIS requirement include United States History and History of Western or World Civilizations. Students should consult prospective four-year institutions.
  4. Students must demonstrate competency in a foreign language through the 202 level by completing appropriate courses and/or examinations. Placement in foreign language is by SAT II Subject Test score or departmental recommendation. Students who are not required to take introductory-level courses should substitute other approved transfer electives. See Note 7.
  5. The laboratory science requirement can be satisfied by the following courses: BIO 101, BIO 102, BIO 110, BIO 120, CHM 101, CHM 102, CHM 111, CHM 112, ENV 121, ENV 122, GOL 105, NAS 125, PHY 101, PHY 102, PHY 150, PHY 201, PHY 202, PHY 241, and PHY 242. Two different science disciplines are recommended and are even required at some transfer institutions.
  6. The literature requirement can be satisfied by any 200-level English literature course, exclusive of composition and creative writing courses. Students should consult with prospective four-year institutions to determine specific literature requirements for the degree.
  7. Some senior institutions require a second math course or a computer literacy course. Students planning to transfer to Virginia Commonwealth University may need to take ENG 210. Students should review the requirements for an English major at their prospective four-year institution. See for list of Approved Transfer Electives.
  8. Students should regularly meet with their faculty advisor and check their advisement report in MyTyler – SIS.

2017-2018 College Catalog & Student Handbook

Your Right to Know

The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia requires colleges to provide information on graduation rates. The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to publish gainful employment consumer information for career/technical programs.

Get More Information:
Division of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences

Chester: 804-706-5086
Midlothian: 804-594-1509


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?