skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Applying for financial aid can be a confusing process. Because state grants are awarded on a first-come/first-serve basis, reading the information below (in addition to meeting financial aid deadlines) will ensure that you will be considered for the maximum amount of aid and that your funding will be in place in a timely manner.

Step 1 – Get an FSA-ID.

Apply for an FSA-ID at (if you don’t already have one). You will need the FSA-ID to electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and other federal financial aid documents. If you are dependent, your parents will need to apply for an FSA-ID as well.  

Step 2 – File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

You can complete the FAFSA online by visiting Remember to include Tyler’s school code on the FAFSA; if you do not include our school code, we will not receive your application. John Tyler Community College’s school code is 004004.

Step 3 - Review the following to ensure that additional requirements are met:

What type of student are you?

New/Transfer Students

We are pleased that you have chosen to continue your education at John Tyler Community College! Please follow the steps below in order to determine your financial aid eligibility.

  1. Apply for admission and declare a major.
    Apply online at Applications are also available at the Admission and Records Office in Moyar Hall, Room M101 in Chester or the Administration Building, Room B106 in Midlothian.
  2. Apply for financial aid.

    Fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at . Information from completed Federal tax return forms (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) should be used in the application process. Keep a photocopy of your tax return since we may request it.

    You must list John Tyler Community College, (school code: 004004), in order to receive financial aid at JTCC.

    At JTCC, Federal Direct Student Loans are not automatically awarded to students who file a FAFSA. To apply for a Federal Direct Student Loan, students must meet basic eligibility criteria and complete the following steps:

    1. First-time applicants need to complete Federal Direct Student Loan Entrance Counseling.
    2. First-time applicants need to complete a Federal Direct Student Loan Master Promissory Note.
    3. All applicants print a Loan Request Form at Complete the form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office via mail, fax or in-person.
  3. Meet with an advisor to determine your readiness for college-level math and English and to get guidance on selecting your classes.
  4. Monitor your myTyler account.

    Tyler uses Messaging in the Student Center of myTyler to communicate with students regarding financial aid. If you have outstanding information needed to process your award, the Financial Aid Office will send a message alert to your Student Center and the items will be listed on your Student Center “To-Do” list. As items are completed, they will be removed from this list. When all required information is received and/or your aid is awarded, the Financial Aid Office will send a message alert to your Student Center with important details regarding your specific financial aid award(s). An email will be sent to your Tyler email account as well to notify you of the message alert. Please Note: Initial awards made prior to the end of the add/drop period are based on a projected full-time enrollment. After the add/drop period, your award amounts will adjust based on the number of credits you are actually enrolled in and will be reduced accordingly if you are not a full-time student. An additional award message is sent when changes (reductions and/or cancelations) are made to your award.

  5. Register for classes.

    Using the online course schedule and college catalog, select your courses and determine if there are course prerequisites and/or required placement tests for the courses you would like to take. If there are, make sure you satisfy those requirements before registering for your classes.

    You can then register for classes online using the Student Information System in myTyler or in person at the Admissions and Records Office during specified registration periods.

    It is recommended that you having funding in place to pay for tuition and fees before you register for classes.

Returning Students

Financial aid is not automatically renewed each year. Interested students should complete a FAFSA for the next academic year when it goes live on October 1. Students should monitor their MyTyler after completing the FAFSA for important message alerts regarding next steps. Students will be sent a renewal reminder each year before the new FAFSA goes live.

Frequently Asked Questions:

If my parents are separated or divorced, do they both have to provide their information on my FAFSA?

The custodial parent and current spouse, if any, must complete the FAFSA. The non-custodial parent is not required to report their information on the FAFSA. On the other hand, the custodial parent must include child support received from the non-custodial part on the FAFSA.

How do I become an independent student for financial aid purposes at John Tyler?

You can only be considered independent if you meet one of the following criteria: are 24 years old by December 31 of the involved aid year, are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or serving on active duty for other than training purposes, are married, are an orphan or ward of the court, or have children or dependents who receive more than half of their financial support from you. If you do not meet one of these criteria, you must provide your biological or adoptive parent(s) information on the FAFSA, regardless of whether or not you live with them or receive any financial support from them.

What do I do with my Student Aid Report (SAR) that I received in the mail or via e-mail?

Review your Student Aid Report (i.e., the results of your FAFSA) for accuracy. If any information is incorrect, make the necessary corrections and re-submit it to the federal processor. Changes can be made online at Otherwise, retain the SAR for your records. The Financial Aid Office will receive your information electronically; therefore, there is no need to submit your SAR to us.

How long does it take for my financial aid eligibility to be reviewed once the FAFSA is received by the Financial Aid Office?

You will usually hear something by mail within a week or so of the Financial Aid Office receiving the results of your FAFSA. Keep in mind that once you submit your online FAFSA to the Department of Education, it normally takes about a week or two for the application to be processed and for the results to be sent to the schools you listed. The paper application takes twice as long to be processed. Therefore, if you submitted your FAFSA online, the turnaround for receiving a response from the Financial Aid Office is approximately 2-3 weeks from the time you submit it.


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?