Registration and Payment Policies
If you are using military benefits, it is important to stay in communication with the Military and Veterans Education Office (MVEO) and plan ahead to ensure there is enough time to process your application. Keep the following in mind:
Registration and Enrollment
- Contact the MVEO if you move.
- Do not repeat classes that have already been counted toward your major. If you want to repeat a class for which you already have credit, contact the MVEO, so we can adjust your enrollment status.
- The VA will not pay benefits for classes that are not part of your major. If you want to take a class outside your degree program, contact the MVEO, so we can adjust your enrollment status.
- If you want to change your degree program, contact your advisor, and the MVEO immediately.
- Notify the MVEO promptly about any change in your enrollment. If you drop/add any classes after your enrollment has been certified, you may owe money to Tyler and/or the VA. Discuss changes with your MVEO counselor prior to making adjustments to your class schedule. The fewer changes you make, the less chance your benefits will be over-paid or under-paid.
- You must fill out an Enrollment Certification Request Form each semester and communicate with your MVEO Counselor (VA Certifying Official).
- Payment for classes is normally required at the time of registration for students who are not using Post 9/11 (Chapter 33). Students can contact the MVEO if they have questions about payment options.
- Respond promptly to all requests from the VA or the MVEO. Your benefits depend on it.
- Post 9-11 (Chapter 33): Once your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) Letter from the Veterans Administration (VA) is provided to your MVEO counselor at Tyler, a “hold” will be placed on your account so your classes are not dropped due to non-payment of tuition and fees. Do not pay tuition/fees since submission of tuition and fees for your enrollment will occur (by your MVEO counselor) each semester after the financial aid office has posted funding (if applicable).
- Montgomery Bill (Chapter 30): Students must pay tuition & fees by the close of business the Friday of the week in which you registered for your classes. VA benefits are paid directly to the student.
- Veterans Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31). Student using Chapter 31 benefits must have approval from their VR&E Counselor before enrolling in classes. The VR&E Counselor will provide Tyler with the required documentation for the payment of classes.
- Members of the Selected Reserve and National Guard: These students should contact the VA regarding their benefits.
- Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program (VMSDEP): Students should follow the instructions for Current VMSDEP Students provided on the Virginia Military Survivors & Dependents Program page. Contact the MVEO if you have additional questions about using VMSDEP.