skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Graduation Deadlines and FAQs

John Tyler Community College Graduation Deadlines

Graduation Semester

Deadline to Receive an Audit Report

Final Day to Apply (Will Not Receive Audit Report)

Summer 2017

February 10, 2017

May 19, 2017

Fall 2017

June 9, 2017

October 6, 2017

Spring 2018

September 8, 2017

February 2, 2018

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is an audit report?

    An audit report outlines what courses you need to complete to graduate in your program. The report will be sent to you by the Office of Admissions and Records if you have applied by the audit report deadline. The audit report only assesses the information Admissions and Records has. If you have discussed possible course substitutions with your academic advisor, have taken classes elsewhere, or have questions regarding your major, make sure you talk to your advisor.

    Remember: you graduate under the college catalog that is current at time you declare a major (also known as a program of study, curriculum or degree). If there are additional requirements or changes in your program at the time of your application for graduation, you are responsible for completing these courses. Only your faculty advisor and his or her dean can approve waivers/substitutions for your courses.

  2. Can I apply for graduation if I have not declared a major?

    No. You must be presently active in the major listed on your graduation application and have a designated advisor. Your graduation application will be returned if you have not declared a major. Check the Student Information System in myTyler for your degree information.

  3. Can I apply to receive a certificate or career studies certificate while I am enrolled in the associate degree program?

    If you have completed a certificate program, but still must complete requirements for the associate degree program, you can obtain your certificate before you finish the associate degree. Financial aid students should check with the Financial Aid Office to be sure that their funds will not be affected. Please review your program requirements and complete a graduation application with your faculty advisor for the certificate program and hand it in by the appropriate deadline. When you submit your graduation application to Admissions and Records, inform the graduation coordinator that you are pursuing your associate degree but wish to receive your certificate in the meantime. If you wish to graduate from both the certificate program and the associate degree program in the same semester, you must complete a graduation application for each program.
  4. What happens after I turn in my graduation application?

    If you have met the deadline to receive an audit report, the report will be mailed to the address on record in the Student Information System in myTyler. The report is mailed approximately two weeks prior to the next registration period for the upcoming semester.

    You will not receive any report from Admissions and Records if you did not meet the audit report deadline. It is your responsibility to make sure you have satisfied all required courses or substitutions needed for graduation. If you have discussed a waiver or substitution of a class with your advisor, have transfer coursework to be evaluated from another institution, or have completed a certification which may grant you credit necessary for completion of your program you must make sure all necessary documentation is submitted by the deadline.

  5. How can I view my academic progress in a program?

    Log into myTyler, and click on VCCS SIS: Student Information System under My Tools. Under Self Service, select Student Center. Under Academics, select My Academics, then View My Advisement Report. Choose John Tyler Community College as Academic Institution, Advisement Transcript – ADVSR under Report Type, and click the Go button. Requirements not satisfied are in bold. If you have questions regarding your degree progress, please see your academic advisor.
  6. If I move, change my name, or change my phone number what should I do?

    If you change your address or phone number, you will need to update that information in the Student Information System in myTyler. This ensures that all mailings, including commencement information and diploma pick-up, reach you in a timely manner. Note that if a diploma or certificate is returned to the College due to an insufficient or incorrect address, the College will not attempt to mail the diploma or certificate again once the address has been updated. It is your responsibility to make arrangements to pick up the diploma or certificate at the Chester campus (see #7 and #8).

    If you have a name change, you must come to the Admissions and Records Office at either Chester or Midlothian and complete the paperwork. Proof of your name change will need to be presented at that time. A driver’s license, marriage/divorce decree, social security card or documentation from the court are all acceptable forms of proof. Please also notify the graduation coordinator so that the adjustment can be made to your diploma if it has not already been ordered.

  7. How long does it take to receive my diploma?

    Graduation is not recorded until after the semester has ended, grades are received, and waiver substitution forms are reviewed. It normally takes 30 working days to process all graduation applications after the specified graduation date for the given semester. After this process is complete, Admissions and Records orders the diplomas. The vendor has one month from time of receipt to process the diplomas.

    Once the diplomas are received, the Office of Admissions and Records will notify you via mail of the times during which you can pick up your diploma. You must show a photo ID to receive your diploma.

  8. What happens if I do not pick up my diploma or want someone else to pick up the diploma for me?

    If you do not pick up your diploma within the designated timeframe, it will be mailed first class to the current address in the Student Information System in myTyler. We will have a receipt of the item being sent, and if the U.S. Postal Service cannot deliver the diploma, it’s the student’s responsibility to request a replacement. While we take every precaution to ensure the optimum condition of your diploma, we cannot guarantee its condition once it has been forwarded to the U.S. Postal Service. Replacement diplomas cost $10 and are ordered at the end of the next graduation cycle.

    If you would like another individual (designee) to pick up your diploma, you must provide a written letter of permission to that person. This document must include your printed name, signature, student ID or Social Security Number, date, name of your designee, and nature of the request (giving your designee permission to pick up your diploma). When picking up the diploma, your designee will need to present the letter of permission and show a photo ID.

  9. When can I expect to receive a letter about commencement?

    If you marked “yes” to participating in the commencement ceremony, you will be mailed and/or e-mailed a letter in March. We graduate after each semester; however, there is only one commencement ceremony. The letter is sent from the dean of students and contains details on ordering caps, gowns and announcements, as well as other pertinent information.
  10. If I participate in the ceremony in May and I’m a spring graduate, will I receive my diploma at the ceremony?

    No, as previously stated in #7, all diplomas are ordered after graduation status is confirmed. Therefore, spring diplomas are not ordered until June. You will receive a diploma cover upon crossing the stage at commencement.
  11. What if I need proof of graduation prior to receiving my diploma?

    You would follow College policy and order an official transcript. Please indicate to hold for processing until graduation has been conferred. You can order official transcripts online by going to: Alternately, you may come in person and complete the Transcript Request Form in the Admissions and Records Office and pay a fee of $3 per copy. We will either mail the transcript to the address you indicate, or you may pick it up on a future date once your graduation status has been posted. Please present a picture ID at the time of pick-up. You also have the option of mailing us a written request, along with a $3 check or money order. Please be sure to include your name, student ID number, and the address where you would like your transcript forwarded.

    If you need an unofficial copy, log into myTyler and click on VCCS SIS 9.0: Student Information System under My Tools. Select Self Service, Student Center and then My Academics. Select View My Unofficial Transcript. Choose John Tyler Community College as Academic Institution, Unofficial Transcript under Report Type, and click the Go button. If your graduation has been completed, you will see this printed at the beginning of your unofficial transcript.

    View additional information about requesting transcripts.

  12. If I am unsuccessful with my graduation attempt, do I complete another application to apply for a future semester?

    Yes, you are responsible for submitting a new graduation application reflecting the semester in which you plan to graduate, signed by your faculty advisor, and accompanied by an advising transcript.

    If you are a spring candidate who has withdrawn from your coursework and will no longer be eligible to graduate, please inform the graduation coordinator so that your name will be removed from the list for commencement mailings and attendance totals.

  13. If I am a Summer 2017 graduate, can I march in the ceremony in May 2017 prior to my summer graduation?

    No. You must complete all of your requirements before marching in the ceremony. If you complete your courses during the Summer 2017 semester (May-August), you would be eligible for the May 2018 ceremony. Only those students who submit an application and complete all requirements by the end of Spring 2017 semester will be eligible for the May 2017 ceremony.

  14. What if I would like to pursue a different major once my graduation from my current program has been processed?

    You may see a member of the counseling staff at any time during your graduation term in order to complete the placement paperwork. During the appointment, inform the counselor that you are a candidate for graduation in your current program. The counselor will assist you in completing the placement paperwork and will submit the form to the graduation coordinator (see #15).

  15. Is it possible to obtain an additional degree or certificate after I have already completed one?

    If you wish to earn an additional degree or certificate, the Virginia Community College System mandates that your prior program and current program differ by at least 25 percent worth of credits. This means that 25 percent of your new curriculum must be satisfied by courses that were not used in awarding your prior degree or certificate. Please mention your previous degree to a counselor upon request to be placed in the new major to determine whether you may be eligible for the second degree or certificate.


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?